You will normally have a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or international equivalent, in any subject. We will also consider applicants with significant experience or degree-equivalent qualifications.
Months of entry
This an online, interactive course that is a recognised postgraduate qualification and a pathway programme onto our MSc Public Relations and Media Management. The course is specifically designed for PR professionals who want to progress and continue their professional development with a short course, or for those wanting to move into a PR career. Experienced professionals whose initial qualifications pre-date the development of digital communications, or who are seeking to progress to a more strategic PR management role will find it equally valuable. The course will also suit graduates looking to move into a public relations or digital role, or journalists and marketers seeking a career change qualification.
As well as an underpinning in public relations theory and strategy, the course aims to enhance your public relations campaign planning skills using the very latest digital and social media techniques. Taught by highly experienced tutors and industry professionals who are able to draw upon their substantial experience in PR and digital communications, teaching is delivered online, using interactive weekly webinars and can be undertaken from home or the workplace. It is particularly attractive to professionals based outside of the UK. Students are supported by tutors and classmates they meet regularly online in a virtual classroom. Integral Foundation Days introduce each unit, and additional support days are provided to assist learning and assessments. Online applied assessments can also benefit your career or organisation. Excellent networking opportunities are available with like-minded PR professionals and academics.
- Public Relations Theory and Strategy
- Strategy and Planning for Digital and Social Media Communications
- The programme is taught by industry professionals and highly experienced tutors, who are able to draw upon their substantial experience in public relations.
- This is an online, interactive and part-time course which has been specifically designed for busy PR professionals to study alongside their working lives or for those wanting to move into the public relations industry.
- Students can study this course from anywhere in the UK or overseas, from their own home or office environment.
- Units are delivered using a unique blend of webinar and web-based learning platforms.
- Students will study two core units (30 credits each) on the programme.
- Each unit lasts for one semester over 4-5 months. This comprises 10 teaching weeks with mid-semester breaks followed by 6 weeks for assessment preparation.
- On average, you can expect to engage in approximately two hours of online teaching and tutorials per week, which you will need to supplement with your own reading, preparation and assessment work. This may vary depending on the unit studied and an individual student’s work rate but you can expect an approximate study time of 10-12 hours per week.
- Each unit is preceded by two integral Foundation Days, which will introduce you to each topic area and the assignments, and provide an opportunity to engage with tutors and network with fellow practitioners in workshops and discussions. These sessions will be recorded so that students unable to attend can access the material online. An Induction Day will also be available before your first unit of study to familiarise you with the University and online course delivery.
- Each unit will include regular contact with tutors and fellow students plus an Assignment Support Session to help you prepare for the assessments.
- Each session will be recorded, allowing students the opportunity to access the material at a later stage, and as frequently as they require.
- This course is pending approval by the Chartered Institution of Public Relations (CIPR). We have CIPR Accreditation for all other public relations courses at MMU. We are also a partner university of the Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA).
- As a PR student at MMU, you can gain FREE student membership of the PRCA whilst on the programme, with a range of benefits including access to professional conferences and training.
- The course will help position you as a 'plus-two' candidate capable of rapid promotion through a strong portfolio of professional skills as well as academic theory.
- Access to our MMU PR network of practitioners and alumni on LinkedIn at: http://linkd.in/MMUPR offering contacts, work experience and employment opportunities.
- Access to our international alumni network of graduates working in public relations.
- Access to our dedicated course Facebook page which as a closed group enables you to interact with fellow students and enhance your professional network by connecting with experienced PR and communications academics and practitioners from the UK and around the world.
Graduates from professional-level PR courses at MMU Business School have an excellent record in career progression, with many reporting promotion in their own organisations or appointment to more senior posts elsewhere after, or in some cases before completing the course.
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK visit www.mmu.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
For further information on potential sources of funding for your postgraduate study, visit www.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Jane Tonge - Course Leader
- +44 (0) 161 247 3984