Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or international equivalent, in any subject. We will consider your application if you have significant, relevant experience or degree equivalent professional qualifications.
Months of entry
This innovative online part-time course is specifically designed for PR professionals who want to continue their professional development by adding an academic discipline to their practical experience.
The course will allow you to gain a senior practitioner view of current management and leadership practice in public relations, as well as the ability to plan and execute campaigns using digital techniques. Experienced professionals whose initial qualifications pre-date the development of digital communications, or who are seeking to progress to a more strategic PR management role will find it equally valuable, and it will also suit journalists or marketers seeking a career change qualification.
The programme is taught by highly experienced tutors and industry professionals, who are able to draw upon their substantial experience in PR. Teaching is online, using interactive weekly webinars and can be undertaken from home or the workplace, and from anywhere in the UK or beyond with internet access. You are supported by tutors and classmates you meet regularly online in a virtual classroom. Integral Foundation Days introduce each unit, and additional support days are provided to assist learning and assessments. Online applied assessments can also benefit your career or organisation. Excellent networking opportunities are available with like-minded PR professionals and academics.
Units of study
Units on the programme will include the following themes:
- Public Relations Theory and Strategy
- Strategic Digital and Social Media Communications
- Corporate Reputation and Media Management, including Media Law
- Leadership and Management in Public Relations, including Ethics and Professionalism
- Academic Research Skills
- Research Project or Consultancy Dissertation
- The programme is taught by industry professionals and highly experienced tutors, who are able to draw upon their substantial experience in public relations.
- This is an innovative online, interactive and part-time course which has been specifically designed for busy PR professionals to study alongside their working lives or for those wanting to move into the public relations industry.
- Practitioners holding a CIPR Diploma in Public Relations are exempt up to 60 credits for this course. This means you are exempt from taking units 1 and 3, and so can join the course at unit 2 stage.
- Students can study this course from anywhere in the UK or overseas, from their own home or office environment.
- Students will study four core units (30 credits each) on the programme plus undertake a Dissertation (60 credits).
- You can choose to undertake a Consultancy Dissertation and base your research around your employer, a client, an industry or even a prospective employer. We encourage you to use the Dissertation strategically to conduct original research that will enhance your career prospects.
- Each unit lasts for one semester over 4-5 months. This comprises 10 teaching weeks with mid-semester breaks followed by 6 weeks for assessment preparation.
- On average, you can expect to engage in approximately 2 hours of online teaching and tutorials per week, which you will need to supplement with your own reading, preparation and assessment work. This may vary depending on the unit studied and an individual student’s work rate but you can expect an approximate study time of 10-12 hours per week.
- Each unit is preceded by two integral Foundation Days, which will introduce you to each topic area and the assignments, and provide an opportunity to engage with tutors and network with fellow practitioners in workshops and discussions. These sessions will be recorded so that students unable to attend can access the material online. An Induction Day will also be available before your first unit of study to familiarise you with the University and online course delivery.
- Each unit will include regular contact with tutors and fellow students plus an Assignment Support Session to help you prepare for the assessments.
- Students will take part in live webinars and general group discussions around the individual units from their own home or office environment. Each session will be recorded, allowing students the opportunity to access the material at a later stage, and as frequently as they require.
- The course will help position you as a 'plus-two' candidate capable of rapid promotion through a strong portfolio of professional skills as well as academic theory.
- This course is pending approval by the Chartered Institution of Public Relations (CIPR). We have CIPR Accreditation for all other public relations courses at MMU. We are also a partner university of the Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA).
- As a PR student at MMU, you can gain FREE student membership of the PRCA whilst on the programme, with a range of benefits including access to professional conferences and training.
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK visit www.mmu.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
Please check the latest Postgraduate prospectus for information on the tuition fees for each course. For further information on potential sources of funding for postgraduate students, visit www.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Business Gateway Team
- =44 (0