Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You’ll need a UK honours degree – at least a 2:2 – or the international equivalent, in engineering, physics, mathematics, computing or equivalent. Applicants with relevant and extensive professional experience int the relevant fields will be considered.
Months of entry
Smart technology is the future. Machines that talk to each other, learn from their surroundings and respond accordingly – think driverless cars – are the shape of things to come. On this MSc Engineering Smart Systems course, you’ll put yourself at the centre of these exciting technological developments, working at the forefront of Industry 4.0.
Our new interdisciplinary masters course focuses on applied skills. It will give you the ability to manage forward-thinking technical strategies, and the skills to deploy the latest digital technologies across the engineering sector.
You’ll study a range of core units, exploring the key technological and manufacturing foundations of Industry 4.0. You’ll also develop professional skills with two project management units, where you will learn the principles behind delivering innovation to industry.
In our high-tech facilities, you’ll learn to use the tools and equipment you’ll come across in the workplace. Throughout it all, you’ll have the support of our experienced teaching and research staff, who will ensure that what you learn is 100% relevant to industry. And, with technical, real-world thinking and project management skills, you will have a proven ability, ready to play a constructive role in shaping our technological future.
Features and benefits of the course
- Industry-standard facilities - You’ll have access to the latest tools and equipment to help you hone your practical skills.
- Teaching expertise - We have more than 60 highly respected academic staff members and post-doctoral researchers working at the forefront of industry.
- Enhance your employability - The course is designed to deliver the professional competencies employers desire and provide you with a valuable set of transferable skills that will set you apart from others.
- Cutting-edge research - Our researchers are addressing the biggest challenges facing contemporary society, from combating the adverse effects of climate change, to seeking a sustainable future and giving Industry 4.0 the tools it needs to succeed.
- Optional placement year - put theory into practice with an industry placement, boosting your career prospects and gaining specialist expertise and transferrable professional skills.
The optional industry placement provides you with the opportunity to apply your academic knowledge in the workplace. Through this, you’ll gain additional specialist expertise and transferable skills through responsibilities and contributions to the employer’s business.
Following completion of the taught elements of your MSc course, you can gain additional practice credits by working for a minimum of 36 weeks and maximum 42 weeks in an industrial setting, relevant to your course.
It’s your responsibility to search and apply for advertised placement opportunities, but you’ll be supported by academic staff and the University’s Careers and Employability Service to find a placement that is suited to you and your career ambitions.
All placements are approved and monitored in accordance with the University’s Institutional Code of Practice for Placement and Work‐Based Learning, including additional checks for international students on study visas.
On placement, your academic tutor and workplace mentor will provide support and progress checks.
A placement fee applies.
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK see our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||100|
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries