We look for the following qualities in applicants:
- A strong academic background with a previous bachelor’s degree in a STEM field. Some students have also earned a first master’s degree prior to LGO, and that’s okay, too
- Research and academic interest in your chosen engineering field
- Ideally, two or more years of work experience showing career development and growth
- Demonstrated leadership and an ability to inspire others
- Interest in a career in operations, manufacturing, product development, technology, or similar engineering management path
Applications can be made either via MIT Sloan or the School of Engineering. Please review these options carefully.
GRE scores are required in both instances.
Months of entry
Offered jointly by MIT Sloan and MIT School of Engineering, LGO graduates earn an MBA and an SM in one of seven engineering departments. This takes two years. Our graduates have the technical, analytical, and business skills needed to lead strategic initiatives in high-tech, operations, and manufacturing companies. Currently, the following departments partner with LGO to offer an SM through the program:
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Biological Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Data Analytics
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Improving Healthcare
- Mechanical Engineering
- Operations Research & Statistics
The centerpiece of the program is a six-month internship project conducted at one of LGO’s world-class operations and manufacturing partner companies, where students do research and problem-solving that form the basis of their master’s thesis. All LGO students receive generous fellowships. LGO students are immersed in the full spectrum of operations related to the global production, new product development, high tech fields, and distribution of goods and services.
Fees and funding
British citizens who are – or will be – graduates of British universities should check out Kennedy Scholarships.
These awards typically offer full tuition and health insurance coverage and a generous stipend towards living expenses which is means-tested. They are offered annually in competition.
Please note that you will need to submit your application to the award ahead of the deadline for MIT application. Kennedy Scholarship applications are to be made online via the website between mid-August and late-October in the same application season as you will submit your application to MIT. Please also note they are totally separate from, and independent of, admission to the program. Awards made at interview in London in January are provisional, pending confirmation of a place on the course.
See the website for full information.
The LGO program is the same price as the MIT Sloan MBA, but you get two degrees instead of one. In addition, every student accepted to the LGO program receives a generous financial aid package. All admitted students who are not fully funded by an outside source are awarded a generous fellowship and considered for additional scholarship funds. Please be aware the Kennedy trustees would have to review their level of financial support for such an expensive degree and would be in discussion with MIT Sloan should a candidate be on the list for an award after interview and then secure a place on this course.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- Joint Masters
- full time20 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details