Minimum 2.1 degree in BA or MA in Sociology or Cognate subject. Applications with equivalent learning are also welcomed. Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Months of entry
- To provide high quality research training in a lively intellectual atmosphere
- To promote students’ professional involvement in academic life
- To ensure that students will make a contribution to the advancement of knowledge in sociology
- And to ensure that students will make a contribution to the understanding and well being of contemporary societies
By the end of their time as a research postgraduate student in the Department it is our goal that students will:
- Have completed a thesis which is a high quality piece of orginal sociological analysis and is at least partly publishable in a peer-reviewed academic outlet
- Have developed and demonstrated a significant level of skill in at least one methodology of sociological research and analysis
- Have a broad knowledge of a number of sub-fields within sociology
- And have had the opportunity to develop teaching and administrative skills and experience
Research applications are generally accepted at any time however the deadline for applications is August the 15th if you wish to start in September of the same year.
Information for international students
Minimum English language requirements: IELTS: 6.5 minimum overall score; TOEFL (Paper based test): 585; TOEFL (Internet based test): 95; PTE (Pearson): 62. Maynooth University’s TOEFL code is 8850.
Fees and funding
For funding and scholarship opportunities see here.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Department of Sociology