The entry requirement for this programme is that you are a dance teacher or dance artist engaged in the teaching practice for at least two years prior to starting this course. You do not need a degree or professional dance teaching qualification to be considered for this course but these will enhance your application should you have them. This is because the programme is intended to help you gain recognition within higher education for professional qualifications and experience
Months of entry
Professional Practice Dance Technique Pedagogy is the science and art of teaching dance. From ballet to hip hop and every style in between, it recognises all forms of dance and the various professional outlets through which they are taught. Whether you strive to teach at a more senior level or simply need an academic qualification to add to your experience, this course will allow you to explore your current work as a dance teacher, enhance your capabilities and build exciting prospects for the future.
Why study MA Professional Practice Dance Technique Pedagogy at Middlesex
As one of the top universities in the UK for dance, we are recognised worldwide for our high calibre ofteaching and innovative research. Our department's student satisfaction rating is one of the best in London at 94% (NSS, 2013), with academics who are renowned experts in their fields. It is this level of excellence and pioneering approach to the subject of dance that led us to develop the MA Professional Practice Dance Technique Pedagogy, the first course of its kind in the UK.
Designed to allow you to explore your technique in depth, our course takes dance professionals in the early, middle or later stages of their career and harnesses their experience so that they can evolve their teaching practice with expert guidance from some of the UK’s leading dance academics and practitioners.
Developed in collaboration with The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD), our course begins by reflecting on your prior learning before allowing you to explore a chosen area of your dance technique in more depth and finally produce a major workplace-based project. Delivered part-time through distance learning, we ensure that you are able to develop as a practitioner and maintain your work commitments while you study.
- This course goes further than a PGCE to allow you to prepare and qualify for dance teaching positions in further educational and higher educational facilities
- Flexibility to shape your studies around your work commitments, individual needs and interests, so you can pursue your ambitions with structured support from experienced practitioners
- You are placed at the centre of your research investigation, making your findings applicable within your own profession and of value to your colleagues, employers and students
- Vibrant dance research culture on campus and online, with influential and internationally respected work in pedagogy, choreographic practices, dance fitness, and modern dance
- Valuable opportunity to make a claim for academic credits against any prior formal and informal learning
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Helen Kindred
- +44 (0)20 8411 6203