Degree in the relevant subject (minimum 2:2), English and Mathematics GCSE grade C or equivalent required. Applications through GTTR.
Months of entry
The Middlesex PGCE Secondary Music course equips you to inspire pupils through the use of engaging interactive workshops, lectures and structured debates. You receive personal attention through regular tutor visits to school placements and individual tutorials. Schools are carefully selected to suit individuals and expose them to imaginative and thought provoking teaching and learning strategies.
The course aims to prepare you for the teaching profession. It will
* Enable you to develop knowledge and understanding of pupils and their learning
* Develop your expertise in highly specialised professional skills in a context where you'll need to exercise initiative and take personal responsibility for decision making in complex and unpredictable situations
* Equip you with the pedagogic knowledge, understanding and skills to teach effectively across the 11-16 age range
* Develop your knowledge and understanding of the Secondary Music curriculum
* Enable you to understand, critically evaluate and respond to the needs of children in multicultural, multilingual and multifaith settings and schools in an international, urban environment.
Five workshop-seminar programmes seek to develop and broaden your previous experience
* Practice and Content in Music Education
* Music Technology in the Music Curriculum
* Stylistic Diversity in the Music Curriculum
* Process and Progression in Music Education
* Music and the Whole Curriculum
The focus is on developing effective practice in the classroom within the context of the National Curriculum. Content includes the role of the electronic keyboard and computers and MIDI in music education. Your subject knowledge is broadened to include jazz and pop and world music. You will study the place of curriculum music in relation to other arts and the broader society and instrumental teaching.
We have a full range of specialist music and teaching facilities on-site and the course includes specialist mentors from our partner schools.
Two thirds (120 days) of the PGCE Secondary Music course will be on placement. We have excellent relationships with schools in north London, Essex and Hertfordshire and many of our graduates go on to work in their first teaching job at the schools where they had a placement.
Information for international students
The UK QTS is only gained after 1 year of school induction following the PGCE course. Overseas students may do the PGCE but if QTS is required, they would need a work permit before doing the induction course. Full overseas fees will apply.
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||34|
Course contact details
- Dominique Jones
- +44 (0)20 8411 5555
- +44 (0)20 8411 5649