Relevant degree (minimum 2:2), English and Mathematics to GCSE grade C or equivalent required. Applications through GTTR.
Months of entry
The Middlesex PGCE Secondary Mathematics course equips you to inspire pupils through the use of engaging interactive workshops, lectures and structured debates. You receive personal attention through regular tutor visits to school placements and individual tutorials. Schools are carefully selected to suit individuals and expose them to imaginative and thought provoking teaching and learning strategies.
The course aims to prepare you for the teaching profession. It will
* Enable you to develop knowledge and understanding of pupils and their learning
* Develop your expertise in highly specialised professional skills in a context where you'll need to exercise initiative and take personal responsibility for decision making in complex and unpredictable situations
* Equip you with the pedagogic knowledge, understanding and skills to teach effectively across the 11-16 age range
* Develop your knowledge and understanding of the Secondary Mathematics curriculum
* Enable you to understand, critically evaluate and respond to the needs of children in multicultural, multilingual and multifaith settings and schools in an international, urban environment.
Maths subject studies investigates the structure of the Mathematics curriculum through number and algebra, shape, space and measures, and handling data. You will be expected to provide evidence of your own development in teaching and learning through a Personal Mathematics Portfolio, which is the main vehicle for the assessment.
You will be involved in designing, producing, teaching and evaluating a range of materials currently used to support Mathematics in the secondary school. An example of this is the use of a specific software application to develop numeracy. Information Communication Technology is integrated throughout the course and it is essential that you are familiar with a Windows environment and have access to a PC at home.
Two thirds (120 days) of the PGCE SecondaryMathematics course will be on placement. We have excellent relationships with schools in north London, Essex and Hertfordshire and many of our graduates go on to work in their first teaching job at the schools where they had a placement.
In 2010, the PGCE Secondary course at Middlesex was awarded a Grade 1 in training, and overall was rated Good with Outstanding Features. This supplements the Grade 1 for management and quality assurance awarded in 2007. This is an outstanding result for such a diverse provider of teacher training and ensures growth in numbers in the years to come.
Information for international students
The UK QTS is only gained after 1 year of school induction following the PGCE course. Overseas students may do the PGCE but if QTS is required, they would need a work permit before doing the induction course. Full overseas fees will apply.
Fees and funding
All UK (and some EU) trainees will receive a £9,000 bursary in 2011/12
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||34|
Course contact details
- Donald Watt
- +44 (0)20 8411 5555
- +44 (0)20 8411 5649