For PGCE Secondary Science with Physics with Maths, you need a first degree in a related subject at 2:2 or above. You are also required to have qualifications in English and mathematics equivalent to GCSE grade C. We also require you to have completed at least two weeks in a Secondary school setting in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland prior to applying.
Months of entry
Have you an aptitude for both mathematics and physics and a passion to share you knowledge with secondary pupils? Tailor-made for individuals like you, this course is now established as a genuine alternative to the traditional physics, biology and chemistry Initial Teacher Training (ITT) route. Students will be able to focus their attentions on these two traditional subjects that are undergoing something of a renaissance in secondary education.
Why study PGCE Secondary Physics with Mathematics at Middlesex?
- We are highly selective regarding our course intake, both in terms of quality and numbers. Therefore you will be training alongside high calibre students in a very intimate teaching environment.
- We are proud of the career-long relationships that we establish with our PGCE students. Many graduates stay in regular contact with their tutors, allowing continual mentoring and mutual knowledge exchange.
- Two thirds of the duration of the course is on placement. We have excellent relationships with schools in London, Essex and Hertfordshire and many of our graduates go on to work in their first teaching job at the schools where they had a placement.
- Through sustained exposure to a classroom environment, you will learn to exercise initiative and sound judgement when confronted by challenging situations.
- Diverse teaching placements enable you to understand, critically evaluate and respond to the needs of children in multicultural, multilingual and multifaith settings and schools in an international, urban environment.
- You will learn to critically evaluate the effectiveness of a wide range of resources and understand the importance of literacy, numeracy and ICT in delivering an effective, all-round curriculum.
- In 2012, Ofsted rated the secondary teacher training courses at Middlesex 'Good with Outstanding Features', which is an excellent result for a large and diverse provider of teacher training.
- The Department for Education offers bursaries for graduates training to teach physics with mathematics. Those with a first class degree or a 2:1 are entitled to £20,000, and those with a 2:2, £15,000. For more information.
- Students can benefit from a £25,000 scholarship from the Institute of Physics. For more information and details of how to apply.
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details