We believe in the importance of inter-disciplinary study and are keen to ensure diversity of skills among the student cohort. An undergraduate law degree (minimum 2:2) is usually necessary for meeting our entry requirements; however graduates from related disciplines may still apply for an LLM degree if we can be convinced that they possess the skills to study law at a Masters level. Those without a law background would be required to undertake a course entitled 'Introduction to the Law' during induction week. In appropriate cases, we also ask for an IELTS score of 6.5.
Months of entry
In developing a career in the competitive world of government, NGOs, international consultancies or think tanks – as well as in the legal profession - an LLM is an important asset. There are four pathways to choose from at Middlesex: you can take the General LLM programme or specialise in International Business Law, Employment Law or Minorities, Rights and the Law.
Whichever path you take, you will broaden your knowledge of law and deepen your understanding of legal methods, concepts and processes. Our General LLM (outlined below), rather than a specialist pathway, is ideal for students who have not yet chosen a more specialised field of interest, or who wish to gain the overview that can achieved by completing modules across different specialisms.
- Around 75% of Middlesex Law graduates find employment within six months of graduating (the remaining 25% mostly pursue further study).
- Your studies are located within easy reach of London's major legal institutions, such as the law courts, the House of Lords and the Inns of Court. Visits to relevant institutions such as the London Court of International Arbitration are incorporated into modules.
- The Department has an exchange agreement with Case Western Reserve University in Ohio, providing an exceptional opportunity to be awarded a double degree combining a degree from a US Law School with an LLM award from Middlesex University.
- The Middlesex Law Society is a well-established and active professional association of local lawyers, offering students events and professional links.
- A rapidly growing number of international placements offers you opportunities in leading organisations within and beyond the UK. These include the Practicum in International Organisations, which gives you the chance to intern at institutions such as the United Nations, Global Union Federations and NGOs.
- The LLM is open to non-law graduates with appropriate experience, subject to taking a short 'Introduction to Law' course.
- We have a proud record of attracting and supporting international students over several decades and place great emphasis on supporting students from all parts of the world.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details