The programme is open to candidates with level 8 degrees, preferably with a background in a cognate discipline. Students will be assessed prior to being offered a place on the course, and this assessment can include a formal interview and/or standard aptitude assessment tests. Students may transfer to the MSc (Software Design & Development) subject to places being available, and subject to the student completing a required additional course on research methods, and an interview, in tandem with the achievement of a minimum 2.1 result in the Higher Diploma.
Months of entry
Course contentThe program structure is based on a first semester of immersion in computing knowledge, supported by extensive laboratories, followed by a second semester of specialisation and industry placement. Key features of the approach are that it provides a:
* Solid foundation in key computing knowledge at the level expected by industry;
* Choice of specialisation allowing participants to focus on areas of strength and interest;
* Model for industry involvement allowing industry to influence development and training of participants;
* Significant placement/internship allowing participants to gain relevant experience and giving industry an opportunity to field test potential recruits.
The syllabus is designed to build upon a prerequisite numerate background and aims to develop the skills and knowledge required for software design and development, and combine these skills with practical knowledge and experience from an industry placement. Outcomes will include:
* A good understanding of core computing modules in: Object Oriented Software Development; Database Development; Computer Architecture, Operating Systems & Communications; Software Engineering and Project Management; and Internet Programming.
* A solid foundation in advanced modules and industry-relevant specialisms, including one of Enterprise Java Programming; or .NET Programming.
* An appreciation and awareness of industry-strength software development processes and technologies, enabled through a 3-6 month placement, and work experience on a practical and challenging industry project.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr. Michael Schukat
- + 353 (0) 91 49 20 31