A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in a science discipline, medicine or dentistry. For intercalated medical students, we need successful completion of your third or fourth year of medical school. We will consider your application on an individual basis if you have lower qualifications and relevant professional experience. Graduates from more varied backgrounds who require a conversion course will be considered on an individual basis.
Months of entry
Our Medical Sciences MSc provides you with a broad education in medical sciences at Master's level. A major strength of the course is its clinical and translational nature. Expert scientists and clinicians from the Faculty of Medical Sciences deliver the taught modules.
The Medical Sciences MSc has a flexible modular structure that is designed to provide a broad-based training in current knowledge and research in medical sciences, medicine and dentistry. You are encouraged to tailor your course to suit your background, interests and career aspirations. This is done through selection of three taught modules in the first semester and your choice of dissertation research topic, upon which you will work full-time in the third semester. You will be supervised for your dissertation in a Research Institute or associated NHS department.
As a student on this course you will:
- study diverse aspects of medical sciences, through structured, subject-based modules
- acquire advanced knowledge and critical awareness in different areas of medical sciences and medicine
- acquire knowledge and develop understanding of aspects of medical sciences research practice and of relevant legal, ethical and safety considerations
- gain experience of hypothesis-led medical research endeavours through personal involvement in a dissertation
- engage in research, analysis and presentation of research findings, and presentation of scientific hypotheses, data and interpretation in the context of current scientific and medical literature
Information for international studentsTo study this course you need to meet the following English Language requirements: Direct Entry: IELTS 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 6.5 in all other sub-skills). Pre-sessional English Language courses are not accepted as an alternative entry to this course.
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Felicity May, Degree Programme Director, Faculty of Medical Sciences
- +44 (0) 191 208 4417