A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in law.
Months of entry
The Environmental Law and Policy (Research) LLM is a programme of research under supervision. It supports the law research pathway in the ESRC North East Doctoral Training Centre (NEDTC). You take modules in environmental law and policy as well as training in research methods and skills.
It is an Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) recognised programme of research. The programme includes:
- intensive subject-specific supervision
- training in legal research methodologies and core skills
- opportunities to participate in research seminars and an annual postgraduate conference.
You will take a range of modules including applied research methods, environment law and policy, planning law and biodiversity and natural resources law.
You will also work on a thesis, for a period of one year, leading to the completion of an original piece of research. The thesis should:
- present a coherent argument from a given perspective
- advance knowledge and understanding in the field of environmental law and policy
- be written within the context of existing critical literature
This programme offers you the opportunity to study in one of the oldest established law schools in the country: Newcastle Law School. We provide a stimulating international academic environment that brings together staff and students from a variety of backgrounds. The School is part of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) and all postgraduate research (PGR) students are members of the HASS Graduate School.
Information for international studentsTo study this course you need to meet our Band 4 English Language requirements: Direct Entry: IELTS 6.5 overall (with 6.5 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in all other sub-skills. If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English Language course.
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Gemma Hayton, Admissions Secretary, Newcastle Law School
- +44 (0)191 208 8736