A 2:1 honours degree and preferably a merit master's degree, or international equivalent, in a relevant subject.
Months of entry
Our Marketing PhD programme in London involves the production of new knowledge through original research. You will explore a field of marketing in detail, through advanced scholarship.
Research strengths at Newcastle University Business School are focused in a number of groups or themes. Each of these involves externally funded research, international collaboration and the active involvement of doctoral students.
Research in the marketing group focuses on a wide range of aspects of consumer behaviour. Ongoing projects and interests cover the UK, European and international contexts.
Specific areas of research expertise include:
- consumer behaviour
- service marketing
- retail marketing
- sustainability marketing
- international marketing
- marketing communications
- marketing in the creative industries
- internet and direct marketing
- marketing strategy.
There are opportunities for you to study in any of these disciplines. You will undertake supervised independent study and be assessed through a single written document supported with a viva voce examination. This involves detailed understanding of:
- the methods, techniques and approaches needed to produce such knowledge
- the wider context of the subject of study.
You will be supervised by a member of the Newcastle University London team. In most cases you will also receive co-supervision from a member of the Newcastle University Business School team. This is to ensure that you gain the benefit of our staff expertise from both campuses.
Newcastle University Business School is accredited by the:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS)
- Association of MBAs (AMBA)
Only 1% of business schools worldwide hold this ‘triple accreditation’. This accolade is a huge endorsement that reflects the investment we make for our students through providing a high quality teaching environment, innovative programming and active engagement with industry.
Newcastle University London is an industry immersive campus at the heart of the City of London. It brings the research active environment of a Russell Group University and creates a community of scholars that believe and practice the civic values of Newcastle University. Newcastle University London is well placed in the capital to facilitate collaborative links between business and industry across the City, and the policy makers within Westminster.
Our facilities provide:
- a Research Hub with hot-desks, secure storage areas, a quiet space for study, and an on-site Research Co-ordinator;
- Wi-Fi enabled connectivity throughout the building, including breakout spaces at the campus;
- lecture theatres and seminar rooms, all providing comfortable teaching and group study space;
- a Learning Resource Centre with physical and digital resources, and links to those at Newcastle University;
- a contemporary café.
Information for international studentsTo study this course you need to meet our Band 9 English Language requirements: Direct Entry: IELTS 7.0 overall (with 6.5 in writing and a minimum of 6.0 in all other sub-skills). If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English Language course.
Fees and funding
See Prospectus online.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Katie Maddocks
- +44 (0)203 752 2425