A 2:2 honours degree, or international equivalent, in a related subject such as biology, biotechnology, bioscience, biological sciences or pharmacy.
Months of entry
Our MSc is for students from a variety of backgrounds with varied levels of biotechnology experience. You will develop an understanding of contemporary molecular biology and biotechnology principles and practices. You will also gain the skills and knowledge base required for employment in the biotechnology industry.
This course covers the scientific principles needed to give you an advanced understanding of contemporary industrial biotechnology. It helps you to develop generic practical skills in:
- handling micro-organisms
- molecular biological techniques
- data analysis
You will examine:
- the production of novel biological compounds
- the fundamental role played by micro-organisms in the turnover of pollutants
- the search and discovery of commercially significant natural products
- use and exploitation of genetically modified organisms (GMO)
The course also explores areas of related interest in biotechnology, such as:
- regulatory affairs
- the role of intellectual property and commercialisation
Information for international studentsTo study this course you need to meet our Band 2 English Language requirements: Direct Entry : IELTS 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in all sub-skills). If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English Language course.
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Academic Secretary, School of Biology
- +44 (0) 191 208 4848