There is a limited number of places on this course. You must have completed a primary dental qualification at least one year before the start of the course. This needs to be recognised by the (UK) General Dental Council. You must also hold full registration with the (UK) General Dental Council by the start of the course.
Months of entry
As a dental practitioner, this course will give you the knowledge and skills necessary to use intravenous and inhalational sedation techniques on a wide range of anxious patients, including adults and children. We welcome students from all over the UK and Ireland.
The Conscious Sedation in Dentistry PGDip aims to provide you with:
- a systematic understanding of the theoretical principles that underpin conscious sedation and anxiety management in dentistry
- a comprehensive practical understanding of clinical skills in techniques of intravenous and inhalational sedation, as applicable to UK practice in dentistry
- an ability to critically evaluate the evidence-base and clinical issues involved in the safe independent practice of conscious sedation to the highest standard
The course comprises taught modules that cover:
- basic sciences and pharmacology
- anxiety and pain
- intravenous sedation
- inhalational sedation
- sedation patient care
- medical emergencies.
Information for international students
To study this course you need to meet the following English Language requirements: Direct Entry: IELTS 7.0 overall (with a minimum of 7.0 in all sub-skills). Pre-sessional English Language courses are not accepted as an alternative entry to this course.
Fees and funding
See Fees and Funding tab in the Programme information in our online Prospectus.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Helen Mills, Programme Co-Ordinator (PG Taught)
- +44 (0) 191 208 8140