A 2:2 honours degree, or an international equivalent, in: earth sciences, civil engineering; geological science; geology; geophysics; maths; physics. You must have a maths background. We will also consider your application on an individual basis if you have lower or non-standard qualifications and relevant professional experience.
Months of entry
The Geotechnical Engineering MSc will give you the specialist knowledge required to meet the needs of the construction, environmental and extractive industries. You will learn the principles and application of geotechnical engineering in a range of settings.
The course provides an advanced knowledge and understanding of:
- soils and rocks and their engineering properties
- site investigation, testing, interpretation and reporting
- construction practice and awareness of safe operation
- key aspects of geotechnical design, such as foundations and slopes
- application of mathematical methods and computational tools
Once you have graduated will be able to:
- identify, generate and interpret data relevant to an engineering scenario
- employ numerical methods for modelling and analysing problems
- select and apply ideas, concepts and data to generate innovative designs
- evaluate the quality of data through testing and measurement equipment in field and lab
- present and summarise data and critically appraise its significance, using numerical techniques
- formulate and test key hypotheses using logical and consistent quantitative or qualitative arguments
Information for international students
Direct Entry: IELTS 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 6.0 in all sub-skills). If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English Language course.
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
Accepted by ICE as satisfying the educational requirements for full membership.
Course contact details
- Academic Secretary (Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology)
- +44 (0) 191 208 6418