A good UK honours degree or equivalent. GCSE English, Mathematics and Science at minimum grade C or equivalent. Relevant and recent experience of practice prior to being assessed against the Teachers' Standards (Early Years) and the ability to evidence this. Professional Skills Tests.
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
Ideal for experienced graduates with substantial teaching experience, this short course is a route to gain Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) through an assessment of your current teaching.
The Assessment Only Route to EYTS allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all the Teachers' Standards (Early Years). It does not include any training and is only suitable if you are currently working as an unqualified practitioner.
How will I be assessed?
The assessment takes place in the setting where you are currently employed. Full support by your employer is essential to ensure the assessments can take place.
The assessment process
The assessment will include:
- a completed application form, including a personal statement
- a reference from your current employing setting
- presentation of comprehensive and detailed evidence to show how you meet the Teachers' Standards (Early Years)
- observation and assessment of your practice in your setting
- evidence of passing the National College for Teaching and Leadership's Professional Skills tests
- a DBS enhanced disclosure clearance.
How long does the assessment take?
The assessment will be completed within a maximum period of 12 weeks. If a longer period or training is required, then an alternative training programme can be advised.
Fees and funding
There is no National College for Teaching and Leadership funding for the Assessment Only route, therefore you or your supporting school must meet the cost of the assessment.
The current fees are:
- Initial Assessment: £500 (non-refundable)
- Final Assessment: £1,500
- Additional visits: £150
- Travel expenses for each tutor visit, if over 50 miles: 45p per mile
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0) 115 848 4200
- +44 (0) 115 848 8869