You will need one of the following options:
- Qualifying law degree (2.1 or above); or
- Graduate Diploma In Law or Common Professional Examination, with undergraduate honours degree (2.1)
- (A 2.2 honours degree will be considered with evidence of exceptional achievement elsewhere in the application, e.g. awards, scholarships, work experience – paid or unpaid).
All applicants should provide evidence in their personal statement of their commitment to a career in law and will be required to provide a full reference in support of their application.
The Bar Course Aptitude Test
In order to enrol, all students must take and pass the Bar Course Aptitude Test (BCAT) by the deadline set by the Bar Standards Board.
Months of entry
The Barristers Training Courses at Nottingham Law School will build on your knowledge and understanding of the law, enhancing the attributes required to be an effective member of the Bar and demonstrate that you have met the requirements of the BSB's Professional Statement.
To gain the LLM, you'll study an additional module in the third term, which incorporates topics such as vulnerable witnesses and expert evidence, and you will gain practical experience of mediation and further experience of trial advocacy. You'll also need to complete a dissertation linked to one of the topics you have covered or (where you have undertaken practical legal work experience) submit a critical reflective report. In respect of legal work experience, there are a number of options available, such as undertaking pro bono activity, including handling real cases, through our Legal Advice Centre, working for the Citizens Advice Bureau, or carrying our placements within a professional legal setting.
Why study at Nottingham Law School?
- All our staff are experienced lawyers and you will benefit from their practical knowledge, as well as from visiting lecturers.
- Our teaching is consistently commended as excellent.
- You'll receive face-to-face feedback in all assessable skills.
- You'll undertake assessments with a practical focus.
- Our dedicated and experienced careers consultants provide guidance and support to help you secure qualifying work experience or other legal employment. You'll also benefit from working with our successful careers team.
- We have considerable expertise in advocacy and alternative dispute resolution. We're home to the first Centre for Advocacy in the UK and our Centre for Mediation and Dispute Resolution was opened in 2016 by Sir Peter Coulson, now a judge of the Court of Appeal.
- As well as access to an exclusive BTC study area, studying with Nottingham Law School also means that you have all the facilities a large Law School can offer, plus the advantages of studying within a university environment which offers outstanding library, IT, support, sports, language and Student Union services.
- To celebrate the launch of this course, we will also offer a £1,000 Launch Award for those starting in 2020. This will be a reduction on the tuition fee.
We are authorised by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) to deliver the vocational component of Bar training.
Information for international students
English language requirements
It is a requirement of the LLM BTC that students are fluent in English. Applicants need to be able to demonstrate that their English language ability is equivalent to a minimum score of 7.5 in each element of the IELTS test.
International students will be required to produce a certificate evidencing the necessary IELTS scores unless they have:
- An actual or predicted degree classification of 2.1 or above in a law degree undertaken wholly or predominantly in the UK
- An actual or predicted commendation or above in the GDL undertaken in the UK.
- An actual or predicted commendation or above in a taught LLM undertaken in the UK.
Fees and funding
To celebrate the launch of this course, we will also offer a £1,000 Launch Award for those starting on the Barristers Training Courses in 2020. This will be a reduction on the tuition fee.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Nottingham Law School Enquiries
- +44 (0)115 848 4460