Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
An undergraduate degree (2.2 or above).
Applicants should ensure that their referee provides a full reference in support of their application.
Certificate of Academic Standing (CAS)
Anyone with non-standard qualifications may need to obtain a Certificate of Academic Standing (CAS) from the Bar Standards Board before they enrol onto the GDL. Full details of who is required to obtain this Certificate can be found on the Bar Standards Board website. Please be aware that this is a requirement in order to proceed onto the Barristers Training Courses.
Months of entry
For non-Law graduates interested in becoming a solicitor or barrister, this course is the stepping stone to the Legal Practice Course or Bar Professional Training Course and a career as a solicitor or barrister in the UK. The course is approved by the Law Society and Bar Standards Board.
Why choose this course?
- We offer a multi-award-winning pro bono programme, including a Legal Advice Centre for the local community.
- Students who successfully complete this course are guaranteed a place on Nottingham Law School's highly regarded LLM Legal Practice Course (LLM LPC). Successful candidates intending to be barristers are also looked upon favourably for a place on our LLM Bar Professional Training Course. We encourage you to submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment. These courses can reach maximum capacity prior to the course start date.
- You will be taught in small groups by supportive teaching staff.
- Scholarships are available.
- Our summer schools programme will provide you with an insight into international law.
- We offer excellent careers support, through our dedicated Employability team.
- Every student will take part in career enhancing opportunities during the course of the year.
- Lectures and seminars are designed to encourage interactive learning, as our students learn in small groups.
Information for international students
We accept qualifications from schools, colleges and universities all over the world for entry onto our UG and PG degrees. If you’re not sure how your international qualification matches our course requirements please visit our international qualifications page.
If you need to do a foundation course to meet our course requirements please visit Nottingham Trent International College (NTIC). If you’re already studying in the UK at a school or college and would like to know if we can accept your qualification please visit our foundation courses page.
English language entry requirements
If English is not your first language you need to show us that your language skills are strong enough for intensive academic study. We usually ask for an IELTS test and we accept some alternative English language tests.
For a list of our language requirements please visit our English language page.
If you need to do a pre-sessional English language course to meet the English requirements please visit our pre-sessional English course page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)115 848 4200