Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will need one of the following options:
- Qualifying law degree (2.1 or above); or
- Graduate Diploma In Law or Common Professional Examination, with undergraduate honours degree (2.1)
- (A 2.2 honours degree will be considered with evidence of exceptional achievement elsewhere in the application, e.g. awards, scholarships, work experience – paid or unpaid).
All applicants should provide evidence in their personal statement of their commitment to a career in law and will be required to provide a full reference in support of their application.
The Bar Course Aptitude Test
In order to enrol, all students must take and pass the Bar Course Aptitude Test (BCAT) by the deadline set by the Bar Standards Board.
Certificate of Academic Standing (CAS)
Anyone with non-standard qualifications is required to present a Certificate of Academic Standing (CAS) from the Bar Standards Board before they enrol on the Barristers Training Course. Full details of who is required to obtain this Certificate can be found on the Bar Standards Board website.
Inns of Court
It is an enrolment requirement of the Barristers Training Course that you must join an Inn of Court before you can begin studying on the programme.
Months of entry
Successful completion of this course enables you to be called to the Bar, and proceed to pupillage. Our nine-month LLM BTC gives you the opportunity to gain the award of a Masters (LLM), assuming successful completion of the BTC and an additional module, Advanced Advocacy, Advice and ADR, which has been created to give you experience of issues that are at the cutting-edge of practice, such as vulnerable witnesses and expert evidence.
The LLM qualification is internationally recognised, and is eligible for the UK postgraduate government loan. Our LLM incorporates a number of unique, practical elements which are at the forefront of legal practice and which will aid you in your future career.
Why study at Nottingham Law School?
- All our staff are experienced lawyers and you will benefit from their practical knowledge, as well as from visiting lecturers.
- Our teaching is consistently commended as excellent.
- You'll receive face-to-face feedback in all assessable skills.
- You'll undertake assessments with a practical focus.
- Our dedicated and experienced careers consultants provide guidance and support to help you secure qualifying work experience or other legal employment. You'll also benefit from working with our successful careers team.
- We have considerable expertise in advocacy and alternative dispute resolution. We're home to the first Centre for Advocacy in the UK and our Centre for Mediation and Dispute Resolution was opened in 2016 by Sir Peter Coulson, now a judge of the Court of Appeal.
- As well as access to an exclusive BTC study area, studying with Nottingham Law School also means that you have all the facilities a large Law School can offer, plus the advantages of studying within a university environment which offers outstanding library, IT, support, sports, language and Student Union services.
- 94.4% of our Nottingham Law School postgraduates are in work or further study within 15 months of finishing their degrees (of those available for work or study, latest Graduate Outcomes Survey 2017-18).
- NTU is 1st for number of Law students taking Professional Qualifications (HESA, 18/19).
Information for international students
It is a requirement of the LLM BTC that students are fluent in English. Applicants need to be able to demonstrate that their English language ability is equivalent to a minimum score of 7.5 in each element of the IELTS test.
International students will be required to produce a certificate evidencing the necessary IELTS scores or equivalents* unless they have:
- An actual or predicted degree classification of 2.1 or above in a law degree undertaken wholly or predominantly in the UK.
- An actual or predicted commendation or above in the GDL undertaken in the UK.
- An actual or predicted commendation or above in a taught LLM undertaken in the UK.
*We currently accept the following as alternatives to IELTS:
- Pearson Test of English (Academic)
Fees and funding
To celebrate the launch of this course, we will also offer a £1,000 Launch Award for those starting in 2021. This will be a reduction on the tuition fee.
We are authorised by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) to deliver the vocational component of Bar training.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)115 848 4200