Usual requirement for entry on to this course is a 2:2 honours degree in a RIBA/ARB Part 1-accredited course, in a cognate or semi-cognate discipline including: Architecture, Interior Architecture and Building Surveying.
However in some cases, we accept applicants without an RIBA/ARB Part 1 who can provide an exceptional portfolio, supported by a number of years' experience in architectural practice.
Months of entry
This course is designed to be the next step for professionals pursuing an accredited pathway to becoming a registered architect. You'll study full-time for two years to satisfy the educational requirements of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Part 2, before moving on to Stage 2 practical experience.The course is prescribed by the Architects Registration Board (ARB) for the purpose of entry onto the UK Register of Architects.
Why study this course?
- 100% of our postgraduate architectural design students are in work or further study, just six months after graduation (DLHE, 2015-2016).
- Develop your personal design style, supported by a University with a strong design heritage; NTU began life as the Nottingham Government School of Design in 1843. Your learning is also underpinned by the School’s significant expertise as a built environment educator.
- Study trips to live sites in the UK and abroad are included in your course fees, giving you the opportunity to gain design inspiration and experience international architectural practice. Previous study trip destinations have included Turin, Barcelona and Venice. You'll also have the chance to attend external seminars and lectures, as well as professional trade, art and cultural exhibitions in the UK.
- Benefit from our team of expert academic staff who have established links to industry and significant experience of working in practice.
- Work in our inspiring RIBA award-winning buildings, offering industry-standard facilities and studios, including a dedicated model-making studio.
- Hear from visiting experts; recent industry speakers have included a number of RIBA Stirling Awards prize winners.
- Showcase your work to visiting industry professionals and prospective employers at our annual NTU Degree Shows.
- Choose from optional modules in Year Two, enabling you to undertake further research and learning in an area of interest.
- If you’re interested in pursuing a career as an architect, you will need to complete an ARB/RIBA Part 1 qualification, before progressing to our MArch Architecture course for Part 2. We offer a BArch (Hons) Architecture qualification at NTU to fulfil the education requirements for Part 1, which is studied full-time over three years.
- We also offer a Professional Certificate in Architecture. This course is intended for graduates from a Part 1 accredited qualification in Architecture, who are undertaking experience in professional practice prior to entry on a Part 2 course.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment Postgraduate Office
- +44 (0)115 9418 418