Minimum 2:1 (or equivalent)
Months of entry
Research is undertaken in:
- Design theory and methods, including: studies of designers’ processes; design cognition; functional modelling of products
- Creativity in design and innovation
- Computational design; shape grammars; generative methods; computational making
- Comparative design across domains
- Design usability in products; usability in design tools; prototyping
- Engineering design processes including: simulation; systems engineering for resilient products and processes; product development; testing.
We welcome applications for research projects; please contact the department to discuss the suitability of your research interests.
- Professor Chris Earl
- Professor Claudia Eckert
- Dr Iestyn Jowers
- Dr Sungwoo Lim
- Dr Nicole Lotz
- Dr Rachael Luck
Testing in the product development process in engineering design Resilient design in refurbishment of hospitals Generative design of mobile design and mechanisms Rules as tools: application of shape grammar methods to jewellery design Design dialogues about objects and representations
Fees and funding
Please see The Open University website http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/research-degrees/fees-and-funding for more information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Emma Dewberry
- +44 (0)1908 332940