Minimum 2:1 or (equivalent)
Months of entry
Language learning is a key topic in the Language and Literacies Research Cluster. In today’s globalised world, language learning and teaching is of increasing importance. This topic involves a range of methodologies for researching the teaching and learning of languages including the use of large multimodal corpora, sociocultural approaches and digitally-mediated communication. Key projects include developing online teaching skills and INTENT (telecollaboration in Higher Education), the use of electronic feedback, the use of iTunesU and podcasting, and eye-tracking (a technology recording the gaze focus of learners during online tasks to establish attention and learning strategies).
- A study of an online reading group: English language teachers’ perceptions of the roles of reading and discussing literature in English in the construction of their professional identity.
- Impact on the knowledge construction process of multimodal online interactions in audiographic conferencing systems: the case of adult distance learners of French.
- Emotion in online distance language learning: learners’ appraisal of regret and pride in synchronous audiographic conferencing.
- Social presence in online multimodal communication: a framework to analyse online interactions between language learners.
- Dr Lina Adinolfi
- Dr Inma Alvarez
- Dr Lluïsa Astruc-Aguilera
- Dr Elizabeth Erling
- Dr María Fernandez-Toro
- Professor Regine Hampel
- Mirjam Hauck
- Dr Tim Lewis
- Dr Ursula Stickler
- Dr Prithvi Shrestha
The application of new technologies to language learning and teaching The professional and language development of language teachers Translation and first language use in language teaching Language learner and teacher identity/identities Multilingualism and third-language learning Independent language learning and learner autonomy Culture and language learning Interaction and collaboration in language learning Task design Assessment, feedback and self-assessment Affect and motivation The role of emotions in speaking online Strategies in language learning
Fees and funding
For detailed information on current fees visit: Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Mrs Anne Foward
- +44 (0)1908 655364