Minimum 2:1 (or equivalent) plus 120 credits in research methods training or, ideally, a masters degree in Research Methods (MRes), which is the usual precursor to PhD studies.
Months of entry
Members of The Open University Business School’s finance research team specialise in: investors and investment, public sector finance and risk management, corporate governance and corporate financing, regulatory issues such as accounting standards and offshore tax havens, ethics and culture in finance, and Islamic finance. Furthermore, the Accounting and Finance discipline within the Business School is home to the True Potential Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance (PUFin), a multidisciplinary research centre which focuses on financial education and its impact, consumer behaviours relating to savings, debt and spending and investment choices and decisions.
Internally funded full-time research studentships are advertised in January (closing date end of March) and may include the following areas. We also welcome part- and full-time self-funded applications in these areas:
- Personal financial capability
- The history of investment, particularly women investors
- Corporate governance
- Financial markets, corporate bonds, share valuation and emerging stock markets
- The capital structure and financing of businesses
- Financial risk management
- The economic regulation of utilities
- Islamic finance.
- Investor sophistication and the selling or holding of shares in the stock markets of mainland China
- A political economy of modern finance and its economic consequences
- A critical assessment of economic crises resulting in the design of a macroeconomic framework
- Corporate governance in Africa
- The Impact of Internal Corporate Governance Mechanisms on the Performance of Firms: Evidence from the UK and Germany
- Stock market investment decision making and emotion regulation
- Adaptation of social marketing in changing financial management behaviours to improve financial well-being: Evidence from the PUFin educational programme 'Managing My Money'
Fees and funding
Please see The Open University website http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/research-degrees/fees-and-funding for more information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Claire Wylde
- +44 (0)1908 332311