Minimum 2:1 (or equivalent) plus 120 credits in research methods training or, ideally, a masters degree in Research Methods (MRes), which is the usual precursor to PhD studies.
Months of entry
Members of The Open University Business School’s finance research team specialise in personal finance and personal financial literacy, the history of investment, emerging financial markets, capital markets, financial risk management, bank risk, financial services regulation, Islamic finance and corporate governance. We have broad and deep research expertise in the field of financial capabilities, including the institutional context and the relationship between emotion, emotion regulation and financial capabilities among private citizens and finance professionals. The interaction between innovation and change at the level of economies, market institutions and regulation, and behaviour at the level of individuals and households are also of interest.
Internally funded full-time research studentships are advertised in January (closing date end of March) and may include the following areas. We also welcome part- and full-time self-funded applications in these areas:
- Personal financial capability
- The history of investment, particularly women investors
- Corporate governance
- Financial markets, corporate bonds, share valuation and emerging stock markets
- The capital structure and financing of businesses
- Financial risk management
- The economic regulation of utilities
- Islamic finance.
- Digital reporting and the constitutive entanglement of material technology, business, regulators and society governance of banking/financial institutions in Africa
- Reconceptualising value: defining, measuring and managing social value creation by business enterprises
- Corporate governance and firm performance
- The impact of political connectedness on the quality of corporate governance disclosures in Pakistan
Fees and funding
Please see The Open University website http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/research-degrees/fees-and-funding for more information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Debby Hing
- +44 (0)1908 655272