- Recognised UK degree, or degree equivalent, typically at second class honours.
- Passes at GCSE grade C or above in English Language, Mathematics and Science (or equivalent). There will be brief assessments of English and mathematics competence at interview.
- To be considered for interview, candidates are expected to already have insights into the primary classroom, gained through experience in a school. Applicants must complete a minimum of two weeks in a UK state primary school prior to application.
- Satisfactory health and criminal record audits.
- You will need to pass the Department for Education's professional skills tests in Literacy and Numeracy before you can start the course.
- You will have to apply for your teacher training course through the UCAS for teacher training application form. When you receive your offer letter, you need to book dates to take the Department for Education skills tests.
- When you go to the test centre you should take your offer letter with you as evidence that you have already applied for a course of teacher training. You will not be allowed to take the test unless you can provide this evidence.
- Applicants are allowed three attempts to complete each test. The first attempt is free but a charge will apply if you are required to re-take either test. We, therefore, strongly encourage you to familiarise yourself with the test content and take several practice tests before you attempt to book a test date.
- All candidates whose application forms indicate appropriate qualification and experience will be invited for interview. In order to be accepted on the course, you must also have satisfactory criminal record and health checks.
Months of entry
Trainees who successfully complete the course, including success in the prescribed QTS skills tests, will be confirmed by the National College of Teaching and Leadership as newly qualified teachers.
Although there is no deadline for applications we recommend that you apply as early as possible as places for postgraduate teacher training are highly competitive. Early application is especially advised if you live locally and would like to work in our partnership schools.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Programme Administrator
- +44 (0) 1865 488618