Normally at least a second class honours degree (normally in a subject other than law) from a UK university or a Certificate of Academic Standing. If you have studied law before you may be entitled to exemptions from all or part of the GDL.
Months of entry
Are you aiming to be a solicitor or barrister but don’t have a law degree? Take our fast-track route for non-law graduates or those with older law degrees. This intensive postgraduate conversion programme is designed to get you up to speed with the essential knowledge and skills of academic law so you can advance your studies and begin your career in the legal profession.
You will meet practising lawyers during the early stages of the course through Plymouth Law School’s established connections with the solicitors profession and the Bar in Devon and Cornwall. You’ll have the opportunity to gain valuable experience with clients, employers and agencies through our well-established Law Clinic.
- Meet practising lawyers during the early stages of the course through Plymouth Law School’s established connections with the solicitors profession and the Bar in Devon and Cornwall.
- Learn your practice while making a difference to real clients with work experience placements supported by our well-connected Law Clinic.
- Benefit from working with a faculty of highly qualified law and criminal justice staff who provide a great mix of research-informedand practice-led teaching.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the key foundation areas of law (public law, EU law, law of contract, law of tort, criminal law, land law and equity and trusts), and in an additional area of law of your choosing.
- Get to grips with the workings of the English legal system.
- Gain the key skills needed to become a lawyer, such as legal research, problem solving and critical judgement.
- Acquire the ability to construct and present an argument using legal materials, and be able to evaluate the merits of multiple perspectives.
- Take part in a range of competitions and social activities as a member of our highly successful, student-run Student Law Society. You’ll get the opportunity to network with high-profile guest speakers and prospective employers.
- Deepen your understanding and insight through a sophisticated array of online resources.
- Learn valuable transferable skills. Potential employers will value your maturity, high level of motivation, expertise in another discipline and, in some cases, successful work experience.
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1752 585858
- +44 (0)1752 585501