You’ll have a good degree in a science or engineering subject, or equivalent. If you have no recent formal qualifications, a lesser qualification with additional experience may be acceptable. If you have overseas qualifications you can check their comparability with the UK equivalent through the UK National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC), who provide an advisory service.
Months of entry
Renewable energy is a cornerstone of the green economy and marine wind, wave and tidal energy are key elements of the UK, European and global renewable energy roadmaps. Begin your voyage to being a part of this vital transformation by studying on the UK’s first MSc Marine Renewable Energy programme. Building on our international reputation for marine research and teaching along with regional and national initiatives, this distinctive degree focuses on the growing marine renewable energy sector.
- Be at the forefront of the emerging field of marine renewable energy at a time when such expertise is increasingly sought after.
- Develop knowledge and confidence in the critical areas which will help you to be an integral part of the effort to develop and promote marine renewable energy.
- Benefit from our research team’s expertise – our staff achieved ratings of ‘world leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’ in the UK Government’s most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
- Take advantage of Plymouth University’s active role in the Southwest Marine Energy Park and the Offshore Renewables Development Programme to stay abreast of the latest developments and make contacts with key players in the field.
- Gain experience in the use of world leading facilities such as the COAST Lab test tanks and the Falcon Spirit research vessel as part of your taught programme and your research.
- Learn in an environment which benefits from PRIMaRE investment in new staff expertise and facilities.
- Benefit from a programme fully-integrated with the £42 million wave hub project, the world's largest wave energy test site, off north Cornwall.
- Live and study in ‘Britain’s Ocean City’, with easy access to businesses and the natural environment involved in your area of study this is an ideal location to study marine renewables.
- Take the opportunity to study abroad in the research project phase and be supported by one Plymouth University supervisor and one supervisor overseas.
On the Mres course take the opportunity to study on the UK’s first MSc Marine Renewable Energy programme. Building on our international reputation for marine research and teaching, the Peninsula Research Institute in Marine Renewable Energy (PRIMaRE) initiative and the South West Marine Energy Park, this distinctive degree focuses on the rapidly growing marine renewable energy sector. Gain expert knowledge in marine science, engineering, economics, law and policy, and undertake an independent research project.
Information for international students
For overseas students proficiency in English is required to British Council standards.
Fees and funding
As part of a new government funded masters loan scheme, masters students who are under the age of 60 can now access a loan of up to £10,000 as a contribution towards the cost of their study.
The loans will be available for both taught and research masters programmes across all disciplines and subject areas (excluding PGCE, PgCert, PgDip, MClinRes or ResM).
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- +44 (0)1752 585858
- +44 (0)1752 584 540