An upper second class honours degree or higher in a relevant subject from a UK university (or an equivalent international qualification) together with two supportive references is usually required. It is not a requirement to have previously studied geography and we encourage applications from students from a natural and environmental sciences background. Candidates who do not meet these criteria but have relevant work experience will be considered and are encouraged to contact the programme convenor.
Months of entry
This programme is delivered in close collaboration with our advisory board of representatives from the water industry, and provides fundamental and applied training in the science and management of freshwater environments. Combining hydrology, geomorphology, biogeochemistry and ecology, the degree is designed to produce outstanding scientists capable of developing interdisciplinary solutions to priority water resource and catchment issues. It involves fieldwork at our research sites including the near-natural Tagliamento River in Italy and heavily impacted rivers within London and the south-east of England. PgDip and PgCert versions of this course are also available.
- facilitates networking within the water and environmental sectors
- develops core understanding of freshwater environmental systems and the key policy and legal frameworks that underpin their management
- provides hands-on training in flood estimation and inundation modelling using industry-standard software
- develops skills and knowledge in the monitoring and management of pollutants, nutrient levels and greenhouse gas emissions in aquatic systems
- provides training in river assessment methods
- develops your skills and knowledge in the theory and practice of river restoration
- develops transferable skills in field and lab methods, project management, statistical analysis, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and the use of remotely sensed data, report writing, problem solving and presenting
- allows you to follow in the footsteps of our graduates who have secured positions in the water and environmental sectors including Jacobs, Halcrow Group, JBA Consulting, River Trusts, Thames Water, Environment Agency, Parish Geomorphic, ESIS Inc., Affinity Water and Wood Group.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0)20 7882 8165