Our usual requirement for entry onto the PhD programme is a strong first degree (BA Hons 2.1 or above) with a merit at masters level. We will also accept its overseas equivalent.
Months of entry
The Department is interested in receiving applications from prospective PhD students for research over a wide number of topics and has particular research strengths in the following areas:
- Eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth century Russian literature (in particular Karamzin, Zhukovskii, Gogol, Tolstoi, Chekhov, Zoshchenko and others)
- Issues of cultural identity (the semiotics of space, representations of history, perception of modernity)
- Soviet cinema, in particular documentary
- Literary and cultural theory
- Georgian language and literature
- Russian folklore
- The nineteenth-century Russian press and its magnates
- The relationships between totalitarianism and the Russian intelligentsia.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Programme Administrator
- 020 7882 8332