An undergraduate degree (minimum good second class honours or equivalent) in Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent.
Months of entry
Biomedical Engineering is a field of engineering that relies on highly inter- and multi-disciplinary approaches to research and development, in order to address biological and medical problems. Specialists in this area are trained to face scientific and technological challenges that significantly differ from those related to more traditional branches of engineering. Nevertheless, at the same time Biomedical Engineering makes use of more traditional engineering methodologies and techniques, which are adapted and further developed to meet specifications of biomedical applications.
This MSc programme covers the following topics:
- Fundamentals of human physiology;
- Ethics and regulatory affairs in the biomedical field;
- Advanced aspects of tissue engineering, regenerative medicine and biomaterials;
- Advanced techniques to synthesize and/or characterise materials for biomedical engineering;
- Mechanics of tissues, cells and sub-cellular components;
- Biocompatibility of implantable materials and devices;
- Materials and techniques for nanotechnology and nanomedicine.Applications are welcome from students with a background in physical sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Materials Science) or Engineering.
The programme has strong roots within the well-recognised expertise of the academics that deliver the lectures, who have international standing in cutting-edge research on Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering. This fact ensures that the programme is delivered with the highest standards in the field. The students also benefit from access to state-of-the-art facilities and instrumentation in the areas of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, while undertaking research projects in brand-new large laboratories that are the result of a recent multi-million investment from the College.
The programme is designed with a careful balance of diversified learning components, such that, on completion of their studies, the postgraduates acquire extensive knowledge and skills that make them able to undertake careers in a wide range of professional ambits within the biomedical field, including health care services, industry and scientific research
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School of Engineering and Materials Science
- +44 (0)20 7882 8732