Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
An undergraduate degree (minimum 2.1 honours or equivalent) in Materials, Dentistry, a related Engineering discipline or equivalent.
Months of entry
This programme aspires to produce highly skilled, motivated, creative and team-work oriented graduates who want to specialise in dental materials or a related field. You’ll work with distinguished academics and clinicians throughout the programme and work on cutting-edge research projects.
The programme is taught by the Institute of Dentistry, which was recently ranked 11th in the World for Dentistry (QS World Rankings by Subject 2020). It is designed to give you a broad knowledge of the principles underlying the mechanical, physical and chemical properties of dental materials, both in preventative and restorative treatment.
It is aimed at dental surgeons, dental technicians, hygienists/therapists and nurses, materials scientists and engineers who want to work in the dental support industries, and the materials health sector in general. On completion of the course, you’ll have a specialised knowledge of dental materials and be able to justify selection criteria and instructions for all classes of dental materials.
This programme will:
- give you a deep understanding of the field of dental materials and the knowledge necessary to conduct research, or work in product development
- place special emphasis on the use of materials in both clinical and non-clinical applications
- introduce you to materials science, focusing on the major classes of materials used in dentistry including polymers, metals, ceramics and composites
- provide you with up-to-date information on current dental materials. You’ll learn about their functional properties, bioactivity and biocompatibility, and also cover specific uses of dental materials, such as drug delivery, tissue engineering and regulatory affairs.
Information for international students
Proficiency in written and spoken English is essential and non-native English speakers are required to have a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 at the start of the course.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Institute of Dentistry
- +44 (0)20 7882 8930