Normally a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University in any discipline. We welcome applications from a diverse range of backgrounds so we may also consider previous work experience alongside and/or in lieu of academic qualifications.
Prior experiential learning in business, management or marketing in lieu of academic qualifications will be considered on an individual basis under the University's RPL Policy. A formal interview, the submission of written work, exam or GMAT test may form a part of this proceedure.
Months of entry
Why is this subject for you?
- You want to become an expert in the field of Human Resource Management, and gain professional accreditation from the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD).
- You want to advance your career in the HR-related field and have potential to gain employment in a range of roles such as HR analyst, HR advisor, HR generalist, HR manager, recruitment manager, career advisor as well as positions in consultancy, trade unions and academic and policy research across all sectors.
- You have an interest in the importance of people management for the achievement of organizational success and you want the opportunity to apply learning to the real-world context and develop practical skills for working in a HR environment.
This Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) accredited MSc Human Resource Management is taught by a mixture of world class researchers and experienced practitioners, and is designed to provide you with a high standard of knowledge and understanding of the current trends, opportunities and challenges facing HRM practitioners and researchers, as well as the skills to advance your career in a HR-related field. The programme’s mixture of disciplinary rigour, academic expertise and applied focus equips you for work in a wide range of positions across the human resource management field.
The programme delivers a suite of modules that explore and critically assess relevant and contemporary HRM- related theories, research and HRM practice (see course modules). You will also have the opportunity to undertake a dissertation that involves the investigation and analysis of a HRM-related issue and provides you with an opportunity for an applied and in-depth study of organizations and the management of work. You can be assured that our MSc HRM course is at the forefront of research-led, practical and theoretically informed education.
Successful completion of Years 1 and 2, including the CIPD Management Research Report, leads directly to Graduate Membership of CIPD. Students have the option of completing at this stage with a PG Diploma in Personnel Management, or continuing on to the dissertation for the MA.
Information for international students
International students wishing to apply to Queen's University Belfast (and for whom English is not their first language), must be able to demonstrate their proficiency in English in order to benefit fully from their course of study or research. Non-EEA nationals must also satisfy UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) immigration requirements for English language for visa purposes. Evidence of an IELTS* score of 6.5, with not less than 5.5 in any component, or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University is required. *Taken within the last 2 years.
For more information on English Language requirements for EEA and non-EEA nationals see: English language requirements
If you need to improve your English language skills before you enter this programme, our partner INTO Queen's University Belfast offers a range of English language courses. These intensive and flexible courses are designed to improve your English ability to entry to this programme. Please click the links below for more information:
- English for University Study - an intensive English language and study skills course for successful university study at degree level
- Pre-sessional English - a short intensive academic English course for students starting a degree programme at Queen's University Belfast and who need to improve their English
- See also the INTO Graduate Diploma in Management programme which combines academic study, intensive English language teaching and study skills to prepare you for entry into a university Masters degree
Fees and funding
Visit our website for information on funding.
From the academic year 2017/18, the Department for the Economy will provide a tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 per NI / EU student for postgraduate study. Tuition fee loan information.
A postgraduate loans system in the UK offers government-backed student loans of up to £10,280 for taught and research Masters courses in all subject areas. Criteria, eligibility, repayment and application information are available on the UK government website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Martin Mulholland
- +44 (0)28 9097 5424