A research degree offers you the opportunity to develop your research skills and prove yourself as a researcher. Queen's is committed to the enhancement of research training and teaching and offers postgraduate research opportunities across all fields of study. The following postgraduate research study routes for this subject area are:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
The minimum academic requirement for admission to a research degree programme is normally an Upper Second Class Honours degree from a UK or ROI HE provider, or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University. Further information can be obtained by contacting the School.
Mode of study/Duration
Registration is on a full-time or part-time basis, under the direction of a supervisory team appointed by the University. You will be expected to submit your thesis at the end of three years of full-time registration for PhD, or two years for MPhil/MD (or part-time equivalent).
Months of entry
Our research focuses on how Earth's environments have changed, or are changing, over a range of timescales. Our aim is to maximise intellectual excellence in our research by building on strong biological-ecological, geomorphological and chronological traditions in late Quaternary, Holocene and contemporary studies.
We welcome postgraduate interest in the following areas, where cluster members have international reputations:
- Carbon dynamics and climate change
- Geographical information studies and geostatistics
- Glacial and periglacial landscapes
- Past and present human-environment interactions
- Past climate and environmental change (using geo-morphological, biological, isotopic, sedimentological and chemical proxies) in North West Europe, the Mediterranean countries, North and South East Asia, Africa, North and South America
- Scientific dating and chronological techniques
- Stone weathering in natural and urban environments
Information for international students
Full details can be found on the Queen's University website at http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens/CourseFinder/
Fees and funding
Click here for more information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Helen Roe
- +44 (0)28 9097 5147
- +44 (0)28 9097 3186