Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- A completed Bachelor's degree from a geography-related discipline
In order to get admission to this Master's you will need a completed Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent, from a research university)from a geography-related discipline, such as Spatial Planning, Geography, Environment Studies.
For students with a completed bachelor in a related area such as International Relations, Social Sciences, Anthropology, Psychology, History, Philosophy, Religion Studies, European Studies, Political Science, Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies, Language Studies, Architecture, (Urban) Design Studies, Leisure and Tourism, Conflict Studies and Management Sciences your prior education first needs to be approved by the examination Board in order to enroll in the study programme.
- Proficiency in English
In order to take part in this programme, you need to have fluency in both written and spoken English. This requirement has been satisfied when the student meets one of the following conditions:
- Has successfully completed a three-year Bachelor's programme at a Dutch university.
- Is a citizen of Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the United States of America.
- Has successfully completed a Bachelor's programme that was taught completely in the English language in one of the following countries: EU/EEA-countries, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America.
- Has successfully completed a Master's programme from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO).
All other students need one of the following certificates (TOEFL and IELTS certificates may not be older than two years).
- A TOEFL minimum overall score of 90, with subscores no lower than 18
- An IELTS of minimum overall score of 6.5, with subscores no lower than 6.0
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) with a mark of C or higher
Months of entry
In the Master's specialisation in Economic Geography you will study the role of regions as locations for economic activities. Optimal interaction between economic activities and the local environment is essential, especially in the face of increased competition. The programme deals with issues such as flows of knowledge, the recruitment and training of employees, relations with suppliers, local governments and the role of environmental and social organisations. In this specialisation you will learn to analyse and understand local developments from a global perspective, focusing on both mainstream and alternative economic practices.
What will you learn?
- Gain a better understanding of the relations between business activities and spatial developent in a globalsing and networked world economy
- Get a theoretical understanding on mainstream and alterntative perspectives on business location, networking and urban and regional development
- Get practical experience with concepts such as city marketing, relational geography and researching local-global links of business, governments and other organisations
- Get valuable experience designing, conducting and presenting your own research
Graduates from this programme could find work in a variety of areas at different institutes and organisations:
- Pursue a career in academia or in other research positions
- Policy maker or advisor for different govenrment organisations
- City or regional planner for different levels of government
- Advisor or consultant for different development organisations
- Advisor or consultant for private firms
*This is a specialisation of the Master's in Human Geography
To apply for this course, please contact us by e-mail.
Learn more via the Radboud University contact form.
Fees and funding
There are various scholarships available for studying at Radboud University. Some of the opportunities are described below. A full list, including detailed information, can be found on our scholarships and grants page at our website.
Radboud Scholarship Programme
Open to a select number of excellent international students. Instead of the institutional tuition fees, non-EEA students pay the legal tuition fees (€2,209). Visa and residence permit costs, liability insurance and health insurance are also covered.
Orange Tulip Scholarship
Open to students from Brazil, Mexico, Russia, Indonesia, South-Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, and China. Instead of the institutional tuition fees, non-EEA students pay the legal tuition fees (€2,209). Visa and residence permit costs, liability insurance and health insurance are also covered.
Open to excellent American students. The grant will be paid in 12 monthly instalments of 1,050 euros. International travel and the cost of the residence permit will be covered, and an extra allowance of €1150 will be paid on arrival.
Sino-Dutch Bilateral Exchange Scholarship
Open to excellent students from China. Consists of a contribution of € 16,113 towards the total costs of one year of study or research in the Netherlands.
Aimed at lecturers at higher education institutions in Indonesia who wish to pursue a PhD or Master's at a university in the Netherlands. A DIKTI scholarship includes allowances for living expenses, insurance, travel costs, tuition fees and more.
Indonesian Education Scholarship (LPDP)
Open to excellent Indonesian students under the age of 35. Involves a full scholarship.
Holland Scholarship Programme
Open to excellent students from Canada, America, India and Turkey. Scholarship consists of 5,000 euros payed at the start of study.
Dutch Student Finance
EU/EEA students and Swiss students under 30 years of age are eligible if they are working at least 56 hours per month in the Netherlands, or have been living in the Netherlands for five years or more. Dutch student finance consists of four components: a basic grant, a supplementary grant (depending on the parental income), a student travel product, and a loan.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Study Information