A first degree in any discipline with a minimum classification of 2.1 or its international equivalent.
Months of entry
Richmond University’s MA in Applied Linguistics: Language Teaching aims to provide a high quality professional education. It has been designed to prepare candidates for a career as highly skilled and reflective language teachers/researchers in the UK and internationally.
MA in Applied Linguistics: Language Teaching with its Chinese and English pathways is based upon a 3-CA Principle (Communicative Approach, Contrastive Analysis and Culture Awareness) in language learning and teaching, with emphasis on developing innovative teaching methods and techniques suited to target language learners. The primary focus and strength of this programme is developing knowledge and skills in language teachers so that they can best facilitate the learning of Chinese or English languages.
The programme is ideally suited to candidates who have recently completed their undergraduate studies and aspire to be leading professional language practitioners. The programme curriculum covers areas of both the study of language learning and teaching and practical language teaching skills. It includes the development of competences with a knowledge of the language market and an ability to conduct applied research in language. The courses are taught and supervised by leading academics and language practitioners, giving a rich learning and working experience to the students on the programme and making the programme itself distinctive and unique in its own right. The programme will lay a solid foundation enabling quick momentum in candidates to build a future teaching career.
The MA in Applied Linguistics: Language Teaching aims to deliver a programme that will equip candidates with the following:
- Gain understanding of the impacts that language policy and technologies have on language learning and teaching
- Equip professional language teaching skills and experience that prepare them for a rewarding future career
- Develop an enhanced awareness and practical competence in conducting applied research to solve problems encountered in teaching in today’s multilingual societies and blend of different communities
- Understand the study of language learning and teaching
- Develop of their language teaching skills and competences best suitable to the targeted learners
- Engage in applied research designed to foster innovative solutions
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- +44 20 8332 9000