The normal minimum entry requirements are an Honours Degree (2nd class or better) in a discipline with significant Computing, Mathematics or Statistics content. These requirements may be relaxed for applicants holding a qualification or industrial experience of equivalent standard. Where an applicant supports an application with alternative qualifications, the School may wish to arrange an interview to discuss the level of qualification offered and the experience gained in an industrial background. All international students, for whom English is not their first language, must provide evidence of linguistic ability, by gaining either IELTS 6.0 or its equivalent prior to receiving an unconditional offer of a place on the course
Months of entry
Our MSc in Data Science aims to produce specialist data scientists with training in industry relevant data acquisition, storage, warehousing, analytics and visualisation tools and techniques and a good understanding of the needs of industry. The course will prepare graduates in technical disciplines for a career in the design and implementation use of computer-analytics and visualisation solutions for industry.
The course will focus on satisfying industry’s demand for data scientists who have the ability to:
- Apply appropriate data science tools and techniques to industry’s data in order to uncover important, previously unknown information only implicit in the data.
- Relate a company’s key performance indicators to a data science problem area in order to focus a data science task.
- Handle large amounts of real-time, non-persistent, data.
- Contribute to business decision-making by effectively communicating (potentially large volumes of) key data visually.
- Understand, clean up, summarise, interpret and manage data.
- Grasp key knowledge about new problem areas in order to communicate with end-users; understand key business needs and processes and identify added value through data analytics.
- Provide user-centred data analytics at an appropriate level.
- Protect and share data as appropriate.
Information for international students
For more information for international students. Visit our international website.
Fees and funding
For Academic Year 2017/2018
Full-time • £3,400 for the entire MSc course.
Part-time • £1,700 for Stage 1 • £1,700 for Stage 2 • No fee for Stage 3
Rest of UK Students
Full-time• £6,750 for the entire MSc course
Part-time• £2,530 for Stage 1 • £2,530 for Stage 2 • No fee for Stage 3
Full-time• £12,820 for the entire MSc course
Part-time• £4,809 for stage 1 • £4,809 for stage 2 • £3,200 for stage 3
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admission Office
- +44 (0)1224 26 2209