Applicants are normally expected to have a degree in art and design or equivalent experience.
Learn more at the entry requirements page.
Months of entry
With over 30 years of being on the cutting edge of animation, the Animation programme has an international status as a subject leader. During this time, the discipline of animation has undergone many changes with developments not only in production methods, but also in how it is conceptualised, distributed and positioned.
In response, three pathways have been introduced as fluid specialist routes through a common programme that is concerned with developing practitioners who have the critical tools, conceptual overview, specialist knowledge and the confidence to creatively innovate and take the authorial lead in their respective fields. These are: Documentary Animation, Experimental Animation and Narrative Animation, one of which students select as part of their application.
The programme’s location within a visually sophisticated, multidisciplinary art and design school, rather than a film school, is crucial in the development of creative and critical thinking, research skills and expanded discipline expertise that’s applied to ideas, styles, genres and technological approaches. Both the MA and research degrees attract artists and makers from a broad background of disciplines: science, maths, architecture, literature, art history, computing and fine art, as well as communication.
The programme offers:
- a unique learning and teaching environment, developing the creativity and skills required in an age of rapid cultural and technological change
- an exceptionally stimulating multidisciplinary environment, complemented by the College’s award-winning programmes in art and design
- a curriculum that allows students to explore the creative slip between diverse forms of moving image: animation, documentary, fiction, process and interactivity
- innovative, practical research and an understanding of different contexts, traditions and histories
- a potent combination of workshops, lectures and tutorials, with the opportunity to develop your own practice, individually and collaboratively.
Fees and funding
Learn more at the funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)20 7590 4444