Typically you need
• an appropriate masters degree or an honours degree 2.1 or above, from a UK higher education institution
• a qualification the University considers as being equivalent. Other qualifications and experience are considered on their merits.
You must also complete an interview in person or by phone with the prospective director of studies, the postgraduate tutor and one other member of the Centre for Health and Social Care research and academic staff and provide two satisfactory references. You may also be able to claim credit points which can reduce the amount of time it takes to complete your qualification at Sheffield Hallam. Find out more
Overseas applicants from countries whose first language is not English must normally produce evidence of competence in English, such as
• a Teaching of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 600 Paper-based, 250 Computer-based, 100 Internet-based
• an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0 or above (with at least 6.5 in the written component)
• a Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) pass
If your English language skill is currently below an IELTS score of 7.0 or equivalent, we recommend you consider a Sheffield Hallam University Pre-sessional English course which will enable you to achieve the necessary English level. An offer of a research degree place may be made subject to a completing our Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes course.
Months of entry
January, September, May
Study for a higher degree by research in our well-respected Centre for Health and Social Care Research (CHSCR). During your studies you are trained in research methods and complete a high level research project. We encourage and support you to present your findings at national and international conferences to help launch your academic career.
Information for international students
Please visit our website at https://www.shu.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
There is support available to help you afford tuition fees and living costs whilst your study at Hallam. Find out at https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/fees-and-funding.
Scholarships, discounts and bursaries may be available to international students who study this course. Visit https://www.shu.ac.uk/international/fees-scholarships-and-discounts to find out more.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Faculty of Health and Wellbeing
- +44 (0)114 225 5555