A good first degree from a UK institution (normally a first or upper second), or the overseas equivalent, to register for MPhil only or MPhil with the possibility of transfer to PhD. Only holders of a relevant UK masters degree, which had a substantial research training element can apply for direct PhD registration. Overseas applicants from countries whose first language is not English must normally produce evidence of competence in English. An IELTS score of 6.0 with 5.5 in all skills (or equivalent) is the standard for non-native speakers of English. If your English language skill is currently below an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills we recommend you consider a Sheffield Hallam University Pre-sessional English course which will enable you to achieve an equivalent English level. The final thesis must be presented in English.
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
Study for a higher degree by research in our diverse Cultural, Communication and Computing Research Institute (C3RI). We support a PhD research programme with over 40 students. You may be able to apply for funding from donor and funding bodies including the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
• Research in an inspiringly diverse institute that brings groups such as artists and engineers together.
• Benefit from specialist focus with two research centres: for art and design and communication and computing.
• Network with over 40 postgraduate research students studying at the institute.
• Apply your research in one of our many knowledge transfer partnerships, or other opportunities to collaborate with outside partners.
Information for international students
Please visit our website at http://www.shu.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
Scholarships, discounts and bursaries may be available to international students who study this course. Visit http://www.shu.ac.uk/international/scholarships-bursaries to find out more.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Arts, Computing, Engineering and Sciences
- +44 (0)114 225 5555