Normal requirements are at least a UK second class honours degree or equivalent in a related engineering or technology discipline. If you do not meet the above but have significant appropriate experience, your application will be considered, provided that you satisfy the University that you are capable of responding to the challenge of postgraduate work. If your first language is not English, you will need to demonstrate that you are fluent enough to cope with the course. A minimum score of IELTS 6 or TOEFL 550 (213 computer-based) is normally required.
Months of entry
- Engineering Council accredited degree
- The theme of the award is power electronics in the Electrical supply industry embracing technological areas such as renewable energy systems, Flexible AC Transmission Systems and custom power and High Voltage Direct Current transmission.
- Power electronics is the technology that drives the design and control of the modern generation, transmission and distribution systems.
- A unique feature of the award is the participation of world leading industry in the delivery and field trips.
- An optional industry placement which can be taken in another European country is also offered.
- Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology IET (partial CEng)
The modern power system is evolving with increasing use of power electronics, integration of renewable sources such as wind and solar development of embedded generation and microgrids. The MSc Electrical Engineering award is designed to produce engineers who are capable of engineering such a system. .
Core modules are:
- Research Methods & Project Management
- Power Electronics in Electrical Utility Systems
- Advanced Power Systems Analysis
- Power System Protection
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems and Custom Power
- MSc Project
Option Modules are:
- Energy Management
- Control Systems
- Photovoltaic Technology
Information for international students
If your first language is not English, you will need to demonstrate that you are fluent enough to cope with the course. A minimum score of IELTS 6 or TOEFL 550 (213 computer-based) is normally required.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Enquiries Team
- +44 (0)1782 294 400