- To apply for the course you will need a minimum 2:2 honours degree, at least 50% in an appropriate subject.
- Mathematics and English GCSE grade C qualifications.
- A good general education.
- You will also need to demonstrate a good understanding of the education system gained from work or placement in schools or experience of working with secondary school aged pupils.
- You will be required to successfully complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application and be certified fit to teach.
- You must be ICT literate.
- We recommend you submit a well considered personal statement on the UCAS application form as this is a key part of the short listing process.
Months of entry
Staffordshire University achieved top marks in the last OFSTED inspection report for its PGCEs in Design and Technology and in Information and Communications Technology. This course, delivered by the same team, is designed to allow graduates with an appropriate honours degree to train at postgraduate level to become a secondary school Art and Design teacher.
You will leave this Teacher Training course with a PGCE qualification. This can be awarded at 3 levels dependent upon performance during the training year, either 30 (Professional) or 60 or 90 (Postgraduate) level 7 credits, in addition to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), the required qualification to teach in England.
The PGCE at Staffordshire University offers specialist support and expertise from tutors who are at the forefront of developments in Art and Design. It is characterised by small class sizes allowing effective links with the schools in our partnership.
The course aims to develop your professional competencies in the creation and delivery of programmes in secondary education, and to develop the wider professional knowledge and skills expected of a qualified teacher.
This is a 36 week course. The equivalent of 24 weeks (120 days) is spent in 2 carefully selected placement schools and 12 weeks in the university.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Enquiries Team