Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
The entry requirements for the award are normally:
- an Honours degree in Psychology (at least Second Class) not accredited by the BPS;
- a first degree (at least Second Class Honours) in a discipline other than psychology.
Months of entry
This postgraduate psychology conversion course is for students who wish to pursue a career in psychology but who have their honours degree in another subject or who don’t have eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) from the British Psychological Society.
The MSc Psychology Conversion is awarded on the successful completion of the following modules:
- Cognitive and Biological Determinants of Behaviour: understanding mental and biological processes that make us think, make decisions, remember and function in everyday life
- Understanding the Social World: a look at how social psychology and the psychology of individual differences helps us understand our world
- Further Research Methods in Psychology: useful and sophisticated ways of finding out the answers to research questions
- Typical and Atypical Development: how do we develop and grow? What is typical and atypical development and behaviour and what does psychology tell us about how to manage that behaviour?
- Psychology Dissertation: design, conduct and write up your own research project.
- One specialist level 6 option module.
The MSc Psychology Conversion is designed to cover core areas of psychology as defined by BPS criteria associated with, and equivalent to, their Qualifying Examination i.e. research design and methodology, practical work, cognitive psychology, biological bases of behaviour, developmental psychology, social psychology, personality and intelligence. Additionally students have the choice of undertaking one option module at level 6, allowing them to learn more about a specialist area within psychology, as well as the core GBC content.
Information for international students
Students whose first language is not English must have achieved Level 7 on all components of IELTS (or equivalent).
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiries Centre
- +44 (0) 1782 294 400