Completion of an introductory counselling skills course or equivalent experience is required. This course is designed for emotionally mature students. Applicants will be selected by interview. Further information will be given on application. For students who have been out of education for some time, evidence of the ability to study at an appropriate level is required.
Months of entry
The certificate is designed to give a firm grounding in counselling skills. It will enable you to use these skills effectively within an existing role, as, for example, a youth worker, health and care worker, social worker or voluntary helper.
The Certificate in Counselling does not aim to train you to practise as a counsellor, but will provide a basis for further training.
This Higher Education qualification equivalent to 60 credits at National Level 4. The certificate is assessed by four assignments for each of the major elements covered in the award:
- Counselling Theory
- Counselling Skills
- Professional and Ethical Issues
- Personal Development
Students are expected to attend at least 80% of sessions of the course plus compulsory attendance at a residential weekend in order to complete the award.
- Counselling lecturers are all fully qualified and practising counsellors with a wide range of experience and an enthusiasm for counselling training.
- Taught in dedicated counselling facilities including a specialist base training room and three purpose designed counselling rooms with the latest audio/video recording facilities.
- The Certificate also features a residential weekend which offers space to focus on personal development, skills and group dynamics in a tranquil setting. This residential facilitates the development of your counselling skills with the aim of creating a supportive environment in which to learn.
- Facilities also include a state of the art video and observation suite, plus other psychological research laboratories, housed in a £30 million Science Centre.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 1782 294 400