A first degree, normally in Translation, a Language or a related subject, normally an upper second or above (or equivalent). As an alternative, we can accept a minimum of two years of relevant professional experience. Overseas students must be able to demonstrate English language competence at IELTS 6.5. level (or equivalent).
Months of entry
Take advantage of one of our 100 Master’s Scholarships to study at Swansea University, the Times Good University Guide’s Welsh University of the Year 2017. Postgraduate loans are also available to English and Welsh domiciled students. For more information on fees and funding please visit our website.
The MA in Professional Translation is an integrated programme designed to turn entrants with proven excellence in foreign languages into successful and marketable professional linguists.
• 240 credit (120 ECTS), Bologna-compliant programme
• 15-21 months f/t, 4 yrs p/t
• Year 2 can be study abroad
Modules typically include:
• Foundations of Translation and Interpreting
• CAT Tools
• Advanced Translation (pair 1)
• Advanced Translation (pair 2)
• History and Theory of Translation
• Interpreting, Translation Technologies
• Subtitling/dubbing/audio description
• Simulated Translation Company
• Digital publishing
• Study a new language (French, German, Italian, Mandarin or Spanish), or post A-Level language (French, German, or Spanish)
Unique Part 2 alternative: METS year abroad. Students take 50 credits (25 ECTS) at two partner translation schools, with a 20 credit (10 ECTS) report for Swansea, leading to a double award.
Information for international students
Since its foundation in 1920, Swansea University has embraced opportunities to think globally. The vibrant mix of nationalities and cultures on campus greatly enriches our learning and teaching environment. We understand the type of support our international students need to help them settle into student life in a new country.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- College of Arts and Humanities
- +44 (0)1792 606752