Candidates (who may be social workers, nurses, psychologists or occupational therapists) should:
- be registered with a professional body
- have at least two years’ post qualifying experience
- have relevant experience of working with people with mental disorders
- have the support of their employer and access to appropriate learning opportunities
- have either a Bachelor or Master’s Degree or, in exceptional circumstances, where this academic requirement is not met, applicants must satisfy the Director of the Programme that their experience and qualifications equip them to undertake postgraduate study.
Months of entry
This course aims to meet the key competencies required by the Welsh Government and the Key Skills considered by Social Care Wales to be appropriate for the role of Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHPs).
AMHPs take on the functions that prior to The Mental Health Act 2007 have been those of the Approved Social Worker (Mental Health Act 1983). An AMHP is a professional role with the responsibility to undertake an assessment of a person with a mental disorder, taking into account social circumstances, and to consider the need for an application for formal admission to a psychiatric hospital. This is a Welsh qualification which reflects the requirements to practice in a devolved Wales.
The course has been introduced to meet the new roles and responsibilities for professionals working with individuals who are considered for, and who become subject to compulsory hospital admission and/ or treatment and aftercare introduced in the Mental Health Act 2007.
Information for international students
Since its foundation in 1920, Swansea University has embraced opportunities to think globally. The vibrant mix of nationalities and cultures on campus greatly enriches our learning and teaching environment. We understand the type of support our international students need to help them settle into student life in a new country.
Fees and funding
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit the University's scholarships and bursaries page: www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/scholarships
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Swansea University Postgraduate
- +44 (0)1792 295358