- have a prescribing budget in place
- meet specific entry requirements set by Healthcare Professions Council (see below)
- be approved by Health Board Prescribing Lead and Clinical Manager
- hold a current criminal identity check to meet specific requirements of their professional body
- have identified an appropriately qualified designated medical practitioner
- demonstrate ability to study at academic Level 7
- recognition of previous learning is not applicable for this programme. Part accreditation of a module, regardless of previous learning or experience, isn't possible
The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) have no specific requirements for allied health professionals (AHPs) but they must be suitably experienced and established in the role in which they wish to prescribe.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Certificate in Non-Medical Prescribing aims to prepare Allied Health Professionals to practice within current non-medical prescribing legislation.
There will be two cohorts per year (subject to sufficient interest and professional body approval), starting in March and September each year. The Spring cohort will run every Wednesday from March to November (No lectures during August) and the Autumn cohort will be taught every Tuesday from September to the following March.
Professional body approval from the Healthcare Professions Council has been granted for Independent prescribing for Chiropodists/podiatrists, physiotherapists and therapeutic radiographers and for Supplementary prescribing, diagnostic radiographers.
This course is not available to international students.
Visit our website for more information on fees, scholarships, postgraduate loans and other funding options to study at Swansea University - 'Welsh University of the Year 2017' (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017).
Information for international students
This course is not available for international students.
Fees and funding
- Applicants may be eligible for funding support
- This programme has the possibility of being funded by the Welsh Government, so the student may not need to pay any fees. Please speak to the programme director for further information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Beth Griffiths
- +44 (0)1792 51 3816