- An honours degree (minimum Upper Second (2:1)) or the overseas equivalent in a relevant subject
- AND a very good MSc/MPhil/MRes degree from a recognised institution
- OR satisfactory work at postgraduate level (which must include some research training) undertaken for the equivalent of at least one year full-time.
NB In exceptional circumstances, we may consider an application from a student without both an undergraduate and post-graduate degree. For example, if they have a first/distinction and research experience.
The four-year programme is strongly recommended for anyone who:
- has not studied in the UK before;
- has not completed specific research methods training at master's level and received 'very good' grades;
- has not completed a research dissertation at master's level and received 'very good' grades;
- has not scored at least 6.5 in all areas of the IELTS (or equivalent) if English is not their first language.
For students who which to study via distance learning there are additional criteria to support effective communication, for more information please see entry requirements section.
Months of entry
This postgraduate research programme in midwifery gives you the opportunity to work with internationally renowned scholars engaged in innovative research that will make a difference in people's lives and in health and social care.
We particularly welcome students from all health and social care disciplines who have an interest in exploring related subject areas.
4-year PhD (full time and full time distance learning options only)
This is a four year PhD programme for students who:
- Have not previously studied research methods;
- Have studied research methods but not in the UK;
- Have limited English language skills;
- Have not completed a master's degree.
In this programme, the first year is a foundation year designed to prepare you for the following PhD programme.
This will include completing taught research methods units from our MRes in Health & Social Care, developing a research proposal with your supervision team and English language tuition (if English is not your first language).
We also offer a standard three year PhD programme (as well as MPhil) for students who do not require the foundation year.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
- +44 (0)161 275 5608