Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
We require you to hold a Fellowship of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (FRCA) or Fellowship of the College of Anaesthetists of Ireland (FCAI) or equivalent.
You should also have relevant ongoing clinical experience involving paediatric anaesthesia, with acute management of ill and injured children essential.
APLS and GCP courses are desirable.
Months of entry
Our blended learning MSc Paediatric Anaesthesia is a unique course for anaesthetists and anaesthetic trainees who have an interest in paediatric anaesthesia.
Children and infants present unique challenges to anaesthetists, who are involved not only in the delivery of safe anaesthesia, but also in peri-operative care, acute and chronic pain management and in the resuscitation and stabilisation of the seriously ill or injured child.
This is an academic course that, when combined with clinical experience, will produce anaesthetists who can deliver high quality care in the field of paediatric anaesthesia.
You will develop:
- The skills required to understand medical literature and research and apply this knowledge as evidence-based practice;
- The ability to gain a firm grasp of the science, pathophysiology and paediatric medicine underpinning the practice of paediatric anaesthesia;
- The ability to critically appraise current practice, develop the specialty further, and improve patient care.
We have developed this course in partnership with the Department of Paediatric Anaesthesia at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital (RMCH), drawing on the hospital's high level of knowledge and expertise to provide you with the breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding expected from paediatric anaesthetists today.
This MSc is suitable if you are a consultant anaesthetist working in either specialist or non-specialist centres and have an interest in paediatric anaesthesia.
Our course would also be suitable for trainees undergoing advanced clinical training in paediatric anaesthesia.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
- +44 (0)161 275 5220