An honours degree (minimum Upper Second), or its overseas equivalent, in one of the following subjects:
- clinical and biological sciences
- other science subjects.
International students must have an equivalent classification and should refer to entry requirements from your country for further information.
Months of entry
Our MSc course in Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences brings together the research expertise in vision from The University of Manchester and Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.
This course will provide you with a firm grounding in the knowledge needed to pursue a higher degree and to conduct high quality research in ophthalmology, optometry or vision sciences. It also gives an opportunity for vision-related professionals to advance their knowledge of the scientific foundations of ophthalmology and vision sciences.
The course is aimed at optometrists, ophthalmologists, orthoptists and nurses from the UK and overseas. It is suitable for:
- individuals who are considering undertaking a research degree in the vision sciences;
- those interested in professional development;
- those interested in conducting research as part of their clinical training;
- ophthalmologists wishing to expand and extend their training into specialist areas;
- optometrists considering a career in the hospital eye service.
Information for international students
Most international students must demonstrate English proficiency through a secure and approved testing system. We ask for English language proof from applicants from non-majority English speaking countries (a list of majority English speaking countries, as defined by the UK Home Office, can be found here ).
Specifically, we require a minimum of:
- IELTS - minimum 6.5 overall with 6.0 in writing
- TOEFL: 90 internet-based (with 22 in each component)
Most English language test results are only valid for two years and must be valid on the start date of the course for a visa to be granted.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Team
- +44 (0)161 275 1798